I've finished writing Lady of the Horde
I've finished writing Lady of the Horde.
Let me say that one more time: I've finished writing Lady of the Horde!
A month and a half ago, the suggestion of such a statement happening now would've been absurd.
I started writing it in June. By the time I took my trip to see family in Ohio a month later, I didn't have all that much to show for myself, and for the rest of July, I still limped on, even though I had a whole week following the week in Ohio free. I did write that week, but not as much as I might've.
Certainly not as much as I did later!
On August 9th, the floodgates opened. I knew I wanted to make better progress. I had no idea how much rapid progress I was about to unleash! A month ago I finally began just writing daily. At the beginning of September I had a five-day weekend, and I wrote roughly six thousand words every day. Today I completed work with one last comparable session.
I cannot believe it!
I started writing book-length manuscripts with the help of the late National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), which I first tackled in 2004 (and then the succeeding two years, in which I completed the first manuscript). I wrote a series of book-length manuscripts soon after, and then a decade ago, my mom passed away, and I lost all that momentum.
I slowly worked my way back into fighting shape.
For the past four years, now, I've been writing book-length manuscripts again. Lady of the Horde was by far the longest yet. It clocked in, as expected, at roughly 144,000 words, and as the days progressed I found myself not just in the zone, but writing exactly the kind of storytelling I always chase, remembered from the best of what I produced for Collider, last year, which ended up being the motivation for how I wanted to end Lady.
I had intended to finish tomorrow, but I had already determined the symmetry of the last two chapters, and I just had to keep writing, and so here we are! I knew the last sentence, so that was incredibly easy, too, and very rewarding in and of itself.
The story kept surprising me. As these things tend to go, after a while it really seemed to be writing itself. Not in an AI way! I typed all of it myself! But the storytelling took over, in ways I hadn't previously imagined. This is a story that's roughly thirty years in the making. I was just as much a callow youth sketching wildly as I was with the bones of Collider, and my outline, because there was more to follow, was if anything rougher, because I thought I knew enough not to keep revising it, as I had with the first book.
I was so wrong! But it ended up working anyway.
So that's three books down, in the cycle.
...And plenty more to go...
Comments
Post a Comment