Progress Update
The good news is that, a month later, the writing’s been going really well.
A month ago I was stuck. I was stalled. I wasn’t writing. I was figuring out that the initial push had been about finding out how to write the story. When I got over that, the chapters started flowing. I got into writing daily.
Since this is by far the longest book I’ve tackled writing in more than a decade, I’m still not at the halfway point, although strangely enough, almost! And that’s wild…It’s incredible.
Every project is cumulative. I take what I learned from one and apply it to another. The old bones of this one turn out to have a lot of meat on them, and as I look at what’s ahead, I’m excited, since the meat of it is what’s coming, where the story really begins to pick up. I seeded characters that haven’t shown up yet, story points that are going to have huge impacts…
And I’m even spreading ground for the next one, because it’s really starting to seem as if writing the series has taken on momentum. Strangely, even sales of the first one seem to be materializing. For now it’s a trickle. Then there’s the second book, just waiting in the wings. The timing for that depends on how well the progress continues for this one. If it goes well, then the second one is published this year, and this one basically on the anniversary of the first one. Fairly rapid, in the grand scheme. But it’s a trilogy, a complete statement. The fourth is a coda, circling back to the character I always thought as the lead, but even in his first book had to share the spotlight more than I expected. But now I feel greater confidence in exploring character arcs…
Comments
Post a Comment